Monday, November 9, 2015

Southern Style Collard Greens

I said in my last entry I wanted to post my collard recipe but didn't have a picture; I ended up making them last Sunday and was sure to take a picture.  I've loved collard greens since I was a child, weird I know.  I remember asking my grandmother to make me "that leafy stuff"...I was never a picky eater nor am I now.  There are few things I don't care for but will try and have them cooked multiple ways before totally ruling them out.  With that being said, I can understand why one may not particularly care for these "leafy things" but if you do then you'll love this recipe!! I have been making them for quite some time and finally think I've nailed down the perfect recipe.  If you are one of those who have never tried collards or have only had them from a can, I implore you to try these at least once!! You may love them!

**Ingredients**

1 Bag of chopped collard greens (in the produce section of grocery store)
1 Ham hock (in the pork section of your grocery store) DO NOT leave this out! 
1/2 Yellow onion chopped
1 Garlic clove minced 
1 Box veggie stock
Drizzle of olive oil for sauteing onion and garlic
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp onion and garlic powder
1 Tsp mustard powder
1 Tsp cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2-3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
Sriracha (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste 

  1. In a large pot or dutch oven over med heat, add olive oil and saute onion until soft then add garlic. Cook a min more. 
  2. Add the ham hock plus rest of ingredients.  
  3. Using a wooden spoon push greens down and make sure they are almost covered with liquid; you may need to add a little bit of water.  
  4. Cover and let simmer until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.  I cook mine about 45 min to an hour.  
  5. Serve with your favorite southern main dish and corn bread! 
Check on your greens towards the end to insure they are not too mushy.  You want to avoid cooking them to death!! 



1 comment: