Friday, October 2, 2015

BBQ Chicken and Waffle with Thai Coleslaw 

Yesterday was National Waffle Day and I'm sure today is "national ____ day". Is there going to come a time when every day is a celebration for something?! "Happy National No Underwear Day!" "Happy National I drive a Honda day!" But seriously, when will it end? Either way, until it does I'm still happy to celebrate the days of favorite foods like chocolate, pizza, tacos and oh yes, waffles! 
Sunday I made shredded BBQ chicken in the crockpot but we didn't end up eating it so I used it last night. I didn't want a traditional waffle meal, breakfast, so I thought of a way to use the chicken and incorporate waffles; chicken and waffles of course! I decided to make the sandwich open faced but you could also use two waffles to make 'buns'. This was a pretty simple meal because I used Stubbs BBQ sauce-the best store bought IMO, and frozen waffles. I would've made those but I don't have a waffle maker. And the chicken was already cooked. But you could always start the chicken the day of. Then the coleslaw I made, super easy and a bit non traditional; I love mixing southern with Italian and Asian/Thai. The sriracha mayo is just that, Sriracha+mayo. 
This was bursting with flavor and so good Michael had two servings ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I served it with baked corn on the cob. <--- pat of butter, season salt, wrap in foil, bake @ 350 for about 25 min ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿฟ 
  **Ingredients**
  • 2-3 Chicken Breast 
  • Frozen Belgium Waffles (1 pp)
  • 2 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage 
  • 1 Tsp garlic & onion powder 
  • 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds 
  • 1/2 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste 
  • 2 Tbsp low fat mayo + 1 tbsp for sriracha mayo
  • 1 Tsp fresh ginger (I used the kind in the tube) 
  • 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar 
  • 1/2 Tbsp honey 
  • Sriracha
  • Salt & Pepper 
  • 1 Cup Stubbs spicy BBQ sauce 
  • Pickles (sweet or dill) chopped for topping
  1. Cook chicken and BBQ sauce in crockpot on low for about 6 hours. Let cool then shred with a fork.
  2. In a med sized mixing bowl add 2 Tbsp mayo, curry paste, vinegar, honey, garlic-onion powder, sesame seeds, salt & pepper to taste.
  3.  Whisk together then add the the cabbage a hand full at a time, mixing with a spoon until it's well coated. 
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and let refrigerate for about 20-30 min to let flavors marry. 
  5. In a small bowl add 1 tbsp mayo and a good squeeze of sriracha. You can make this as mild or spicy as you'd like. 
  6. Cook waffles according to package. 
  7. Plate your waffle, smear on sriracha mayo then top with chicken, slaw, a drizzle of BBQ sauce and chopped pickles. 
I loved this dish because it combined two of my favorite cuisines, soul food and Thai! ๐Ÿ˜‹ it was sweet, spicy and had great texture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment