Sunday, October 25, 2015

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Im not so good about prefacing a recipe with a story, especially when its just a random night that I think "hey! I'll make this!".  And some times I can get too wordy.  Hopefully those of you who follow this blog or just read it for the recipes will appreciate that because I for one, hate food blogs that go into a whole long story before actually posting the recipe.  I mean, I suppose if there is a super special meaning behind said recipe it makes sense but either way I just keep scrolling until I see ingredients and instructions.  With that being said, its another reason I don'r really follow recipes and just make up my own...unless its by a super famous chef or something.  Anyway, I love a good chowder  and the hubs like shrimp so I made this!  I ate more potatoes than shrimp though.  Not liking shrimp very much is a texture thing for me, nothing more.  I love seafood but in moderation. EXCEPT for crab legs!! I could eat an ass ton of crab legs!!! Nothing better than fresh crab legs and lots of melted butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
oh sorry, just drooled on myself.  Anyway, this recipe lends loads of flavor and is one where you just dump, aside from some chopping, the ingredients and let simmer until done.  I think they're called "one pot" dinners or something.  Or maybe it because it's  a soup, that part is just understood?
**Ingredients**
7-8 Medium sized shrimp (cut in half)
6-7 Small red potatoes (halved, quartered, then cut again) 
1 Can whole kernel corn
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Cups veggie unsalted veggie stock
1 Tbsp creole seasoning (see jambalaya recipe)
1 Red bell pepper finely chopped
1 Small yellow onion diced
1 Bay leaf
Chives
Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sriracha (optional)

  1. In a large pot or dutch oven add oil and butter over a med-high heat.
  2. Let melt, then add onion and bell pepper, cook until tender.
  3. Add garlic and cook a minute more.  
  4. Then add corn, potatoes and stock.
  5. Let simmer on low for about 10-12 minutes (until potatoes are fork tender)
  6. Once the potatoes are done, put about half the mixture in a blender with cream.
  7. Pulse until it has a smooth yet chunky texture.
  8. Add back to pot.
  9. Add bay leaf and shrimp and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
  10. Serve and top with chopped chives and a sprinkle of paprika.



No comments:

Post a Comment