Friday, October 2, 2015

Guinness Battered Onion Rings 

I made these deliciously crunchy onion rings for the first time several summers ago and they quickly became a staple whenever we had bbq's at my parents house! (Or when I just felt like indulging in fatness) My step dad was particularly fond of them so naturally I had to make them yesterday for Father's Day.  They're simple to make...I just don't advise making them when it's a hot summer day in Ga, unless you're close to a swimming pool; I was sweating my ass off, literally! I had sweat pouring down the back of my legs. Anyway, enough about my ass sweat! Here's the recipe, if you still feel like eating.

  • 3 large Vidalia onions sliced (pick out the thickest rings)
  • 1 Guinness beer
  • 1/2-2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like spicy)
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp paprika,  onion & garlic powder, black pepper
  • 1 tbsp salt (divided)
  • 1 large bottle of peanut oil
  • Large mixing bowl & whisk
  • Spider strainer & tongs 
  • Cookie sheet with wire cooling rack on top OR several layers of paper towels. I prefer a wire rack because the grease can drain off and prevent the bottom of the onion rings from getting soft
  1. Place large pot on the burner of your grille outside, if that's an option, if not then your house will just smell like kfc for a while and your stove will be covered in grease. Add entire bottle of oil to the pot and turn the heat on high. Heat to about 360 degrees. 
  2. While oil is heating mix flour, spices and beer in mixing bowl with the whisk.  
  3. Add several onion rings at a time to batter, stir around with the tongs until coated then carefully add to the oil. Once a beautiful golden brown use the spider strainer to remove, place on rack and sprinkle salt on them. It's best to do this as soon as they come out so the salt will stick. 
  4. Repeat process until all your rings or batter, which ever, is gone first! 
  5. Serve with a spicy romulaude sauce or good ole American ketchup!

No comments:

Post a Comment